Department of Economics
206 Tilton Hall
New Orleans, LA 70118
- Ph.D. University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- B.S. North Carolina State University
- Tulane University, Department of Economics, Assistant Professor (2011–present)
- External Affiliate, Health Econometrics and Data Group, The University of York, UK, Oct. (2010-–present)
Health economics and applied microeconomics
Learning and information in the context of health and healthcare.
- "Smoking, Expectations, and Health: A Dynamic Stochastic Model of Lifetime Smoking Behavior.” Forthcoming at the Journal of Political Economy.
- "Supply-side Responses to Public Quality Ratings: Evidence from Medicare Advantage," (with Ian McCarthy). Forthcoming at the American Journal of Health Economics..
- "Comprehensive Indoor Smoking Bans and Smoking Prevalence: Evidence at the State Level" (2016), with Thomas Carton, John Levendis, Sang Lee, and Iben Ricket. American Journal of Health Economics. 2(4).
- "The Effects of Parental Health Shocks on Adult Offspring Smoking Behavior" (2016), With Donna Gilleskie. Health Economics 2: 939-954.
- "The Star Treatment: Estimating the Impact of Star Ratings on Medicare Advantage Enrollments" (2015), with Ian McCarthy. Journal of Human Resources 50(4): 980-1008.
- "Are Investments in Disease Prevention Complements? The Case of Statins and Health Behaviors." (with Robert Kaestner and Darius Lakdawalla) Journal of Health Economics. 26: 151-163
- "Adjusting to Natural Disasters" (2006), with V. Kerry Smith, Jared C. Carbone, Jaren C. Pope, and Daniel G. Hallstrom. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 33: 37-54.
- “Smoking, Morbidity, and Mortality: Evidence from a Long Panel," (with Donna Gilleskie and Koleman Strumpf). Revisions Requested at International Economic Review.
- "Unintended Consequences of the Hospital Readmission Reduction Program: An Impending Threat to Inner City Health Care Delivery,'' (with Joseph Buell, Reverend Lucas, Reverend Vanessa Landry-Sanchez, Seth Christian, Emad Kandil, Myra Kleinpeter, Paul Friedlander, Geoffrey Parker). Under Review.
- "Information, Choice, and Obesity: Measuring the Impact of the New York City Calorie Labeling Mandate on Obesity," with (with Rodrigo Aranda Balcazar and Diego Rose).
- "Health Reform and the Labor Market: Is Mental Health the Connection," (with Gultekin Gollu).
- "Job Stress and Occupational Sorting in Young Adults" (with Matthew Harris)
- "The Health Care Costs of Smoking Among the Elderly" (with Robert Kaestner)
- "Initial Experience with Biologic Polymer Scaffold (Poly-4-hydroxybuturate) in Complex Abdominal Wall Reconstruction" (with Joseph F. Buell, David Sigmon Christopher Ducoin, Max Shapiro, Nikil Teja, Emit Wynter, Mark Shapiro, Kathrine Hanisee, Geoff Parker, and Emad Kandil.) Forthcoming at the Annals of Surgery.
- "Workplace Stress in the United States: Issues and Policies," OECD Economics Department Working Papers, No. 1150, OECD Publishing.